Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Beauty and the Beast

So last night I'm up in the middle of the night, giving my son Tylenol for the raging fever he's had for the past couple days. And of course, I can't get back to sleep. And of course, I start thinking of Twilight. And the song "Beauty and the Beast" from Stevie Nicks keeps playing in my head (again, showing my age here.) And I feel so strongly about this song and how perfect it would be for New Moon.

I'm going to get a little serious on you here....so just bear with me for a minute or two. I've told a couple friends about one way the Twilight series has affected me....and I suppose it's only fair to share it here. I won't go into details...but suffice to say, I lost my first boyfriend when we were 17. And every year, I get older....and he remains forever 17. That aspect of the Twilight series really bothered me....Edward being forever 17 and the possibility of Bella going on with life and aging without him. And when we were kids, I was a Stevie Nicks fanatic..and one of the songs I always loved...because it reminded me of this boyfriend...was - you guessed it - Beauty and the Beast.

I realize the Twilight films are going to be full of teen angst music (forgive me as I do not mean to offend with that description). But I cannot tell you how much I'd love to see this song involved somewhere in this film. Where Edward leaves Bella....or soon afterward while she's lying in the forest...devastated. Or even at some point in the middle of the film, where she's not letting herself think of him....maybe she has a nightmare and wakes up crying and this song would be running in the background. Or even during the fountain scene, where he's thinking he died and does have a soul afterall. It doesn't even have to be Stevie's version (although hers will always be my favorite). I'd also love to see Edward's piano involved somehow with the song as it has some beautiful piano throughout. OK - I'm rambling - but you get my point. Here are the lyrics...and make sure you click the title above and watch the youtube video of Miss Stevie singing the song at a concert in 2006. You won't be disappointed....

Beauty and the Beast
Written by Stevie Nicks.

You're not a stranger to me
And you... well you're something to see
You don't even know how to please
You say a lot but you're unaware of how to leave

My darling lives in a world that is not mine
An old child, misunderstood, out of time
Timeless is the creature who is wise
And timeless is the prisoner in disguise

Oh who is the beauty? Who the beast?
Would you die of grieving when I leave?
Two children too blind to see
I would fall in your shadow, I believe

My love is a man who's not been tamed
Oh my love lives in a world of false pleasure and pain
We come from different worlds but we are the same
I never doubted your beauty; I've changed

Who is the beauty?
Where is my beast?
There is no beauty
Without my beast

la bete la bete
Where is my beast?

My beauty
My beauty
My beautiful beautiful beautiful
Beautiful beast

No comments: