Saturday, April 25, 2009

Um...WHOOPS!

Do you know anyone who has read Twilight - but hasn't yet finished the series? Isn't it maddening to talk in front of them and have to watch everything that comes out of your mouth? I totally slipped for the first time last night - and I feel terrible! My friend Teresa has only read Twilight. She saw the movie first and went back and read the book afterward (no, I didn't bug her to do it...noooo) which I found totally cool. She could've just skipped to New Moon but she never would have truly gotten the series. And now she's hooked because of Stephenie Meyer's writing style. (You know, that woman who wrote these books we love, who gets a ton of undeserved CACA because she's supposedly not a good writer? SNORT. 16% market share in the first quarter of 2009 indeed...but I digress.)

Fast forward to last night, when I had an impromptu neighborhood showing of Twilight at my house since my hubs was away - complete with wine and gossip - and a few major points accidentally slipped out of my mouth. Most likely due to the aforementioned wine. (oops) My girlfriends were complimenting my recently redecorated living room, and my dumb ass says "I spent 3 hours on this couch one night, reading all about the birth and the turning"...and then realized what I said. HOLY CRAP that's not cool. If anyone had done that to me when I was reading, I'd have gone all kinds of Christan Bale on their ass. And the worst was my recovery, or my lame ass attempt to do so. First I tried to be funny and say "oh that's a different book". Then I said "Listen - you think you know what I'm talking about - but you don't". And that seemed to settle her brain a bit. But here's what I'm thinking about doing to really try and "fix" things.

How about if I tell her about Victoria in Eclipse. I just say "Listen - Victoria's back in Eclipse - and she turns a lot of people (thus, taking care of my "turning" comment) and when they're recently made vampire, they're called Newborns" (thus taking care of my "birth" comment)? Will that work to repair some of my thoughtless damage? I am beyond mortified at my slip. But she left with my copy of New Moon (which has been read twice and has underlines and various notes in margins; my god I'm so pathetic!) so that's got to count for something, right?!

No comments: