Friday, September 18, 2009

My Eclipse Playlist


OK so my Eclipse playlist is coming along nicely. That New York Times article about the Twilight series soundtracks got my juices flowing to work on it a little more... so I should have more tuneage up soon.

Has anyone noticed my double "Ain't No Sunshine"s? The Eva Cassidy version represents Bella's perspective when Edward keeps going away to hunt and making Alice hold her hostage. Le sigh. (Sorry. Just got a little lost in thought about Edward's new iron bed that the wench won't even sleep in.) The Bill Withers version represents Edward's perspective every time Bella trots off to La Push to hang with her hairy pack-o-friends.

Am I a genius or what? How cool would that be to hear two versions of the song representing the two characters?

Here's another thing that bugs me. Joe Hedges should be on that soundtrack. Guaranteed none of you know who he is, and the NYT article said most of the New Moon music is very indie. He's a guy from Ohio who has a band and has written some really beautiful songs. One is called Mitral Valve Prolapse (that's his own artwork above) and I wanted it on the New Moon soundtrack so badly. He wrote it because he has MVP, which is a leaky mitral valve in your heart. I have it too, and I just thought it would be SO cool from Bella's perspective. The lyrics say "I try but nothing ever fills me up" which is SO CLOSE to what Bella was always saying about the hole in her chest when Edward was gone. Another song is called "Pray the Stars" and it's gorgeous and I could hear it as Bella's feelings toward both Edward AND Jacob. I emailed him a while back and told him to submit Mitral Valve Prolapse for New Moon. He was good enough to email me back and ask about New Moon (he had no clue what it was) but that was it. So I'm sure he didn't submit. Then I read that article - and it bugs me because his band could have gotten some serious recognition, even from just submitting a song and having it get into the right hands. Maybe they don't want to go the "to the masses" route, though, which I can understand. Kings of Leon turned down a chance to be on the soundtrack, as well. I don't agree, mind you....  but I understand.

No comments: