Saturday, November 21, 2009

New Moon Review - Part deux


Friend and mytwilightpurgatory reader Kira asks:

are the Volturi just not that interesting? are the scenes with them as good as they seem in the trailer? they weren't mentioned in your review!

Let me APOLOGIZE for that, as they were TREMENDOUS. LORD how could I forget my favorite - Jamie Campbell Bower - aka Caius???? He truly has like.. two microscopic lines... but I have so much lurve for that little cutie, I don't know what to do with myself.  And he was good. His little "she knows too much...she's a liability" was hot. Although it reminded me of Yoda: "I cannot teach him. The boy has no patience." OK - moving on. Michael Sheen. MICHAEL SHEEN. Do they have any frickin idea how LUCKY they were to get MICHAEL FRICKIN SHEEN??? At one point, I turned to my sister and said "Best actor in the movie" but then I came to my senses and remembered GRAHAM GREENE was in the movie and had a little chuckle to myself that I could ever be so silly as to think anyone could ever be better than him - in anything he ever does. (TEAM HARRY CLEARWATER!!)  At any rate - Michael Sheen kicks some ASS as Aro. The only complaint I have is that they didn't stick to the book and give him white hair and papery skin. I have no idea why they didn't. Maybe he didn't want to - and that seems to be the way it works with these Twilight movies; the actors get to choose how they look as well as what they say. (Oooooh SNAP. Yeah, I said it.) Christopher Heyerdahl who plays Marcus was very good, too (although he has even less lines than Caius).. but I am biased where he is concerned. He played Alastair on Supernatural and was SICK good in that, too.

OK a few other Volturi points:  the room they were in was great - lots of marble. But we've all seen that in five million trailers, so moving on... The scene where they bring in the humans... Oh. My. God. Chris Weitz is brills because - well - I'm not going to tell you - but that scene will really choke you up. I was very disappointed that they didn't have the scene with Bella and Edward after the Volturi released them, where Bella is crying (it would have been nice to see her actually emote something) but I understood why they had to cut it and sortof front-load the emotional stuff when Bella first crashes into Edward. OH I thought the post-Italy conversation at Bella's house was WAY TOO rushed. That was a poignant scene and I barely even remember it, and that should not be.


also...is the ending totally different than in the book? i have to be honest...i don't even remember at this point how the book ended! lofl. i just remember that Bella gets Edward back....

Yes and no. They didn't change the gist of the story - but they changed where it takes place. And there is a cliff hanger that Chris Weitz doesn't want you to know about. So go see the movie and you'll find out for yourself. (And Summit will make even more money than they already have! Isn't that special for them?)

PS - THANK YOU to Chris Weitz for staying true to the book. I am getting chills while I type this. New Moon is my favorite of all the Twilight Saga books; it had a very personal impact on my life. If the movie had veered too far from the book, I'd have been upset. Thanks, Chris, for doing us proud.

2 comments:

Tracey R. said...

OK, I've been thinking about this movie all day and have to say that I WISH I was happier with the Bella/Edward relationship onscreen. Now, I know that maybe it's just b/c it's New Moon, which is so NOT about their relationship, really--but honest to god, in every scene they have together, both before and after Edward leaves, Bella looks MISERABLE. Just plain miserable, as though (as I've said before) she smells something bad. It's really evident at the beginning at school, where she's with Edward in the parking lot looking all morose as usual, and then Jacob walks up and she VISIBLY brightens and is all "yo Jake wassup?" How in the heck is that supposed to make me, the audience member, feel at ALL as though Edward is the love of her life and the person who without whom she is souless?????? And worse yet, how is it supposed to get me invested in this relationship so that when Edward leaves, I believe that it's really as though someone has died to her???

I'll tell you what this movie needed--they needed to do the Romeo and Juliet movie scene the way it was written in the book, with B/E hanging out at home, sprawled out on the couch watching the movie, relaxed and just talking. (Oh, note to KStew? BELLA CRIES DURING THE MOVIE.) I need to SEE them having a normal couple moment--nothing earth-shattering, nothing life-threatening, just a normal moment with JUST THE TWO OF THEM, that's probably pretty close to moments they've had all during the summer ("the best summer of my life"), where they're just in love and enjoying each other's company and HAPPY. That gives the breakup scene so much more impact.

POINT BEING: At the end of the day, I should have been in tears at that scene in the woods where Edward leaves. TEARS. And I wasn't. Either time. And THAT, ladies and gentlemen, makes me sad. And makes me like the movie a little less the day after...

Kira said...

Thank you for explaining more!! I hope I can see the movie sooooon!

xx