Tuesday, July 6, 2010

I HAVE SEEN ECLIPSE!

Went with my Twi-Buds, Jenn and Shannon. My apologies to my friends who haven't seen it yet. We realized last minute that we had an open window - and ran with it - which is a necessary evil when you have young kids who need babysitters. The husbands are home to watch 'em? "GO GO GO!" (yelled like a S.W.A.T. team outside Tony Soprano's house.)

Anyway - I have every intention of going back - so just say the word, and I'm there.

OK - Here is my synopsis: 

I. Loved. It!!!  SO much. To the point where I had tears in my eyes during the credits - because I was so happy it was so good. David Slade is a god ("no God").  I was pretty sure of this going INTO the film....but was convinced beyond the shadow of a doubt when I came out. It was beautiful. And it truly worked.  Here's how good it was:  My favorite parts of the book were NOT in the movie... and yet... I loved it. How's THAT for good direction???

So many comments... so little time...

Credit where it's due:

KRISTEN STEWART WAS GREAT!  She hit it right out of the ball park. No sniveling...no loud breathing...no whining. Just Bella. A little down in the dumps and in desperate need of a laugh once in a while... but just Bella. And she doesn't a) write the script or b) direct  - so I have nothing but love for her today. Nothing but love.

JACKSON RATHBONE WAS BEYOND!  He was awesome. I have been waiting for 3 films for that man to get his comeuppance... and boy does he in this film. He looks great - his acting is superb (I think I cried for him at one point) and he is just a star in the making. It's wonderful to watch.

JULIA JONES aka Leah Clearwater. The GREATEST casting in the history of casting. She was FANTASTIC. She made me happy to have read an entire series of Twilight books. She restored my faith in the bringing life to these characters. THAT'S how good she was.

XAVIER SAMUEL - holy crap, kid. Where'd YOU come from??? Talk about seeming like a seasoned professional. Hollywood better not eff this up. This kid is a star.

I have to see the film again (and see it again, I will), because so much of it has left my brain already... but a few of the odder things I do remember:

Ugh. Carlisle. Poor Carlisle. What have they done to you, my lemon-haired friend? Why have they turned you into a caricature with a bad Madonna-esque British accent?  Who stole my beautiful Carlisle and left Liberace in his place?! Why?? WHY?!?! (screamed like Nancy Kerrigan.)

The Cullens - waiting for Victoria and standing in formation like the A Team. What was that all about?  I guess it was done to make the guys happy. That's the only reason I can possibly attribute to that weirdness.

And speaking of Victoria. All I can say is a big, fat MEH!  She was horrible!!! No offense to Bryce Dallas Howard because she's a great actress. But she was SO miscast. She was way too cute to be Victoria. An the wig was so god awful, I didn't know what to do with myself. Rachelle Lefevre was robbed... and moreso the AUDIENCE was robbed of her beautiful portrayal of such an evil character. It didn't work at all - but would have been golden with Rachelle. Epic Summit FAIL.

That's it for now. Until 15 minutes from now when I think about something new. See y'all soon!

10 comments:

Tracey R. said...

O.K. I will say that I agree with all of your comments EXCEPT for one. And unfortunately, that one concerns the star of the show, so it puts a damper on the movie for me.

I'm of course referring to the performance of the highest-paid FemBot in Hollywood, otherwise known as Kristen Stewart. Seriously, her Bella is so devoid of all personality, spark, wit, charm, etc., that it's completely head-scratching as to how one hot guy--let alone two hot guys--let alone ANY guys at all, hot or not--would be attracted to her.

Carol, I know you and I discussed this a bit last night after you saw the movie, and I discussed this a bit after she saw the movie, and your feeling is that she is following direction, but I don't know that I can quite sign on to that opinion--and here's why: Given the fact that for some reason, David Slade is waaaaaaay into the tight head shot, we got a LOT of opportunities to really look into her eyes and beyond and see what was going on in her brain. With good actors, I really believe that you can SEE beyond their eyes--into their souls, almost. AAnd with KStew, it's nothing. NOTHING. That moment where she thinks Jacob's going to get himself killed in the battle, we should see her struggle in her eyes--her realization that she's in love with him--SOMETHING. But there's nothing. Later on, when Jacob's been hurt and she's at his bedside--now, look, I don't expect sobbing and tears and whatnot with every emotional scene, but LOOK IN HER EYES DURING THAT SCENE. NOTHING.

Hmmm...maybe those tight head shots did KStew a disservice....as did the lack of any sort of a real wardrobe (WHAT was up with her clothes in the party scene???). I will say that I liked her better in the last movie--probably because this numb, flat acting style far better suited what Bella was going through in that movie. (I still think her nightmare screaming scene in NM was maybe the best, most real, most gut-wrenching thing she's done in the series.)

I really did like a lot of this movie better than the other two--thought the action sequences were great--LOVED LOVED LOVED Charlie (the "dad, I'm a virgin" scene was by far KStew's best--and quite possible only--"human," real moment--thought TLaut NAILED Jacob's combination of cocky bastard and vulnerable, "I didn't ask for this wolf s***" attitude. And I probably need to see it again to determine if I'm just being too hard on KStew...but I'm not kidding when I say that her performance--or lack thereof--brings the movie down at least a letter grade for me.

Purgatory Carol said...

Tracey - Honestly - I see your point. I agree about the close-ups. But I think at this point, I've accepted the fact that KStew is Bella - and we're going to get what we get. I had zero expectations of her going into the movie last night after the heavy breathing, Darth Vader nightmare that was New Moon. So imagine my surprise when she kept it together - didn't huff and puff - and actually had a good solid laugh with Charlie in the kitchen. By far my biggest complaint about these movies is the lack of personality from Bella, who - in the book - was pretty damned funny and personable. I am still of the belief, however, that Kristen would smile more if Bella was written to smile more in the films. And that's on Melissa Rosenberg. And David Slade. And Chris Weitz. And Catherine Hardwicke. And Summit. For not making damned sure "movie Bella" is as dry and amusing as "book Bella".

Mali said...

so glad u guys saw it!!!!!!!!!! now u know why i have already seen it 3 times and will probably see it one more time because i loved it that much!!!

the cast was great..

xavier brought so much to riley that i didnt even expect to be there. he was superb!

taylor did a fine job! loved the kissing scene on the mountain!!!!!!!!!!

kstew and rob had great chemistry this time around or maybe it was just that hot bedroom scene!!!!!!

the cullens were great... the music was beautiful (picked up the soundtrack a week ago)......the list just goes on...

i also agree that victoria was a big flat flop! rachelle would have nailed it!

ex1: in twilight, the whole "im the one with the wicked curve ball". that was amazing

ex2: in nm when she's being chased by the wolves, does that cool flip, and stares jacob down....... the intensity in her eyes was chilling. she would have brought the same intensity to this final role.

rachelle was completely robbed! the only thing bryce got right was victoria's voice....

Megs said...

I loved it too!!! How's this for a one liner, "I'm hotter than you"!! Hahaha!

I thought KStew was better in this one, even if she's not great, it was by far her best in the saga. I didn't find myself thinking how much I hated her throughout the movie, as I usually do.

I thought the new casting was amazing! Maybe I'm a weirdo, but I didn't mind the new Victoria. I'm glad her hair color was right (Although you're right her wig was bad, in fact, ALL of the wigs in the movie were bad! Seriously so, so bad) I have to say, that I thought she nailed the scene when she's talking to Riley. I thought that was perfect.

Perhaps she was a little too cutesie and less bombshell.

Tracey C said...

Can't!!! wait!!! to!!! see!!! it!!!! Soon...soon...soon...

Purgatory Carol said...

Tracey C - Let us know when you go!

Mali - RIGHT! The Wicked Curveball! She was way more sultry and sexy than BDH, don'tcha think?

Megs - I laughed SO LOUD when TL said "I'm hotter than you!"!!! I was clapping and laughing... it was GREAT!

Tracey C said...

Still waiting for my neice even though she has seen it grrr lol next week!!!

Tracey C said...

Saw it....spur of the moment kinda thing...just did it...nice empty theatre! LOVED IT!!! Not picking nothing apart right now cause YES it was the best one so far... Edward was smiling and they had actual chemistry...Bella was well Kristen playing Bella so new not to get my hopes up but even she was good in this one...kissed and more kissin and and it was good and so worth the wait!! Going again if they ever take the no passes thing off so I can use my passes...then maybe I will have some negative on it but as of right now...AWESOME!!

tracey C said...

OK...negative...Victoria's hair 'sucked' If they had of made it long and beatifull if might have not been such a let down that it wasn't actualy Victoria!

Purgatory Carol said...

RIGHT TRACEY C! The hair was SO bad. SO bad. She didn't look hot or sultry like Rachelle did. She just looked... cute and perky. Meh.