Monday, March 2, 2009

Breaking Dawn, Indeed!

SPOILER ALERT - DO NOT READ unless you have reached chapter 23 "Memories" in Breaking Dawn.

All is right in my world. I am happy. I can now put the book down for short periods. Last night, after the kids went to bed, I curled up on the couch in the living room with a blanket, far away from the noise of the TV in the family room. And I read like there was no tomorrow. I read the last of the annoying "Bella on the couch " scenes. I read the last (I hope) of Edward's annoying worrying. And then the roller coaster started all over again. WHAT A FRIGGIN RIDE! The birth scene was unbelievable. I can only imagine what that will be like on the big screen. I actually cried for Bella, thinking she was really dead (and not "undead") when Jacob was saying she was dead. Going forward, into her new life, I absolutely LOVED how Bella's words started again as she was being made vampire. I loved the burning and her not being able to move. I loved her waking up and thinking Edward was 10 times the kickass hottie we all already know he was in the first place. I loved reading about the dust motes and the particles of light and everything she was taking in. And I even loved the hunting, which was something I really didn't know if I'd be able to handle. It's all been done so well. OK I was a little bummed that there wasn't a serious "bodice ripping" scene (as my friend Linda calls them) in the woods, but I got over it. It happened in my mind, and that's really all that matters, I suppose. Damn teen novel.

I knew Jacob imprinted as soon as Bella woke up and they said he was still there. What an interesting concept. That is going to be fun to watch. Although I'm no dope; I know there is danger on the horizon. I'm assuming the Volturi will be getting involved - and since Beth said the ending was gut-wrenching, I'm assuming somebody dies. Either that, or the roller coaster is going to get crazy and sad before it ends, happily, I hope? Either way, I don't think I can NOT read this book at the same pace I've been reading since Day 1. I know a lot of people who have said they had to stretch it out, knowing the Cullens would be out of their lives forever once the book is over. But I need to know what happens. Put it this way, I knew the sex of both of my children before they were born. I'm just that person who "needs to know".