Monday, March 16, 2009

It Isn't Easy Being Green...

Since New Moon started filming - or doing whatever it is movie people do to get ready for a film shoot - I've been keeping up online. Every day, I do a News Google of "Twilight", or I'll check a site like TwilightMoms.com. They are a great site. They have a great relationship with Stephenie Meyer and even get interviews with Twilight actors from time to time. And they keep up with news by the second.

OK so what's my point? I'm getting a little disenfranchised by the whole film adaptation business. It's too easy to get wrapped up in who Rob Pattinson is dating (or not dating)....or who is directing Eclipse...or what movies Kristin Stewart has coming out this week. And next thing you know, you're looking at these actors as if they're truly the characters. And they're not.

<-------Case in point. Is this your image of Edward? Really? REALLY? Because it's not mine. Nothing against Rob Pattinson. I think he's absolutely adorable. Who doesn't? But unless he's in character on the movie set, he almost couldn't be less Edward. Look at this hair! It makes me giggle. And I have no doubt in my mind it would make Edward giggle. I realize Edward had messy hair. But I don't picture it like this. This? This is muppet hair. I bet Edward would see this hair and roll his eyes and make some snide old-fashioned remark that would make him even more endearing to my not-so-20-something self.

OK so again, get to the point, Carol. It is only too easy to get caught up in the lives of the actors who play our favorite characters...and it's really not a smart thing to do. They don't appreciate it...and it takes away from the film and the characters they portray. And I often wonder what these studios and productions companies think about these actors being seen and photographed with cigarettes or silly hair, etc.

One actor who seems to be completely into his role and not wanting to do anything that would jeopardize it is Taylor Lautner, who plays Jacob. How adorable is this kid? He's always smiling and sweet in the media and seems eager to please... and even more eager to give a good impression. Probably because his job was almost on the chopping block due to the fact that Jacob has to grow into a BIG sonofabeotch. I'm starting to think that you can tell which actors are more like their characters...and this kid definitely seems to be a lot like Jacob. Smiling and happy all the time. I remember reading New Moon and Eclipse and wanting to drop kick Jacob all the way to the beach from his front yard. And yet, when Breaking Dawn came along, I came to look forward to Jacob's sense of humor and started really liking him. And look at this picture? He is probably as close to Jacob as you could get. For now, that is. Until he's a young 20-something and is chased by the paparazzi like Rob Pattinson. Then maybe he'll be wearing his hair like a muppet, too. And still getting all the girls!

My thanks to the LA Times Blog The Dish Rag by Elizabeth Snead and gracefulboot.com for the photos.

No comments: