Thursday, March 26, 2009

The Twilight DVD

I finally saw Twilight on Tuesday night....yet have not been able to get my head together enough about it actually blog in a coherent fashion. Seeing Edward Cullen come to life can do that to a person. I have had so many thoughts about this movie over the past few days but they're very random and they flit in and out of my head faster than Edward can crawl up a Giant Sequoia.

I saw the film with a bunch of girlfriends at my friend Andrea's mom's amazing house. She has a home theater you could land Air Force One in. I was front and center - in the most plush seat you can imagine - with my feet up, a glass of wine and Edward. It was heaven. And I was a resident Saint.

I have to say, the movie really got started for me when the Cullens walked into the cafeteria. I loved how it was done. And having Edward walk in last - a few seconds behind the rest of them? Priceless. Totally drove home the point before we even got to see his face.

I loved the movie. And I truly didn't think I would. It stuck to the story quite well. And I came out loving the Cullen family more than I did while reading the books. I am going to have to see all the sequels in the theater though. Take Eclipse. When Bella rolls her eyes at Alice's sleepover - and refuses to sleep in Edward's new bed? I'm going to have to throw popcorn at the screen, and that would be rude to do at Andrea's mom's house.

One thing I noticed... Why did they put things from other books into the first film? Because they didn't know if they'd get a chance to have a second film? James and his crew and all the killings....reminded me of the killing in Seattle in Eclipse. Esme and the Cullens making Italian for Bella? I loved the scene - but it reminded me of Esme ordering Bella Italian "the good stuff from Port Angeles" in Eclipse as well.

Things I loved:

~Edward sparkling. Sigh. That...was...amazing.

~ Edward walking Bella into school with his arm around her.

~ The spider monkey comment.

~ The bedroom scene when he flies back into the wall.

~ Edward getting verklempt and walking away from Bella a la Napoleon Dynamite when she asked if he got contacts.


~ The Cullens making Bella dinner. Oh holy HELL. I'd have shut Edward up so fast when he said I already ate. Then I'd have sat my ass down, shoved every bit of Italian down my throat that I could possibly shove. Then I'd tell Rosalie's witch ass how great her stupid salad was, all for the sake of making a good impression. And oh my god - when Edward wanted to dance with me? I'd have run down the hall and borrowed Alice's tap shoes from her 17th go round in a high school play.

The new scenes were actually what I liked about the movie. It was fun to experience something new that never happened in the book. I was a little bummed when they cut the scene with Esme telling Edward to play the piano...but I got over it mighty quickly when he started to play. My god that lullaby goes through my head on a daily basis. It was beautiful.

OH and that's another thing; the music. I downloaded the soundtrack a few weeks ago and wasn't immediately bowled over by anything. Then I saw the movie. Wow. Rob Pattinson's songs were PER-FECT in the film. And frankly, I really didn't love them when I heard them on iTunes. It just goes to show what a magical thing it is to put music together with video. Incredible.

A few things I wish:

I wish they'd have kept in the scene with Carlisle and Esme watching Edward climb the tree with Bella. It said SO MUCH in what - 20 seconds?

I wish they'd explained more about Edward's eyes being dark when he was thirsty. Not that I don't understand it - but anyone who didn't read the book (aka my husband) didn't really get that.

I wish they'd have shown Edward in Bella's bedroom, watching her sleep and hearing her say his name in her sleep the first time. I guess I'm coming at this from the Midnight Sun point of view....but I felt that was really powerful - and finally got it across to Edward that Bella actually dug him as much as she did.

OK so my niece Caitlin and her friend Rud just called because they're in Philly and they wanted me to recommend a good cheesesteak place. I sent them to Mama's in Bala Cynwyd, PA (outskirts of Philly) because their cheesesteaks are heaven on a plate. But unfortunately my train of thought has gone a little off track...so I'll have to come back and blog later when I've got Twilight on the brain. Stay tuned...

No comments: