Tuesday, May 5, 2009

30 Days of Whoops!

OK so today we're seeing some backtracking by David Slade ("30 Days of Night" director who will be directing "Eclipse") after some negative Twilight Twittering he did back when Twilight was out in theaters. Below are the original comments (thanks Slashfilm.com) and the major backtracking email he sent to twilightlexicon.com (awesome site, btw, check it out). 

I have to weigh in and say I couldn't care less about these comments. Let me tell you a little story about a girl named Carol who had zero desire of reading a silly little teen series named Twilight. When I first heard about it, I was all entrenched in Vampire Bill's shizz (from True Blood) and thought I was sooo above a teen novel. This is probably why I am so adamant about the fact that Stephenie Meyer didn't write Twilight to be a teen novel... but I digress. At any rate - he knew nothing about Twilight when he ripped on it and c'mon - it was being positioned as a teen series - thus a teen film. I totally ripped on the commercials when it was in theaters! And now look at me! Obsessed Twilight freak who discusses the semantics of Esme's glass wall addition with Shannon in the school parking lot! (And for the record, Mr. Slade's comments were pretty damn funny - to the point where I'll bet Stephenie Meyer and the cast would laugh about them). So survey says: whatevs!

And PS - as I've said before - if you haven't seen 30 Days of Night - run, don't walk, to your nearest Blockbuster and rent it. The suspense in that movie will knock your socks off. I cannot WAIT for this version of Eclipse. WORD.

From Twilightlexicon.com (we'll call this, simply, "the backtracking"):

“Dear Laura and Lori
I would be grateful if you could distribute this statement to the fans of Twilight:I would like to address some statements that I made regarding Twilight.
When I made these comments, I had neither seen the film nor read the books. I was promoting a comedy short film that I had made for Xbox and every pop culture subject was seen as a possible comedy target. I was being silly and none of the statements were from the heart.
Of course, I have since seen the movie and read the books and was quickly consumed with the rich storytelling and the beautifully honest characters that Stephenie Meyer created.
I would like to reassure everyone involved that I am invested in making the best film that I am humanly capable of, and that I am acutely aware of the power of the original books we serve.
Please be rest assured this statement is absolutely from the heart.
yours sincerely
DAVID SLADE”


From slashfilm.com (the original comments):
…and so yesterday we were trying to find a movie to see and we’d seen all the good ones, you know, and there was nothing really coming out this weekend that we really fancied at all and having directed a vampire film and really gone for something completely different to the kind of romantic, you know, repressed hormone teen vampire movie we really weren’t interested in seeing Twilight but a lot of people said lets go so I wrote -
Twilight drunk? No, not even drunk. Twilight on acid? No, not even on acid? Twilight at gun point? Just shoot me.”
[That’s like] a poem in a way [...] at this point excites me even though people think I’m a really violent and unpleasant person I actually do have this romantic violent side to me. Maybe I should have seen Twilight.

No comments: