Thursday, July 9, 2009

Stephenie's still on top!

The USA Today Best Selling Books list came out for the 2nd quarter and - oh gee - look who is STILL ON TOP. (I love this so much because it allows me to get very brazen with the book snobs I know who refuse to read Twilight because their book snob friends won't allow it - while drinking their half caf - half splenda - half chi - half cap - grande espresso at whatever snobby book store they will allow themselves to frequent.) Gee. Stephenie Meyer is. With her four Twilight series books. DIDN'T SEE THAT ONE COMING! (Sarcasm rules, does it not?)

This also reminds me to share with y0u the amusing thing that happened to me at Costco today. While perusing the book section (snort - the "book section" at Costco - see the above coffee comment for why that's funny), I saw a woman standing in front of the Twilight books. She thought quietly to herself for a moment - and then tried to appear as if she were taking a nonchalant look around - before diving headfirst into Breaking Dawn. Truly it happened so fast I thought she might break a nail. Upon realizing she was reading well into the 2nd half, I felt compelled to come to her rescue and make sure didn't read any further if she a) hadn't read the series and b) was planning on reading the series. So I said "Have you read them?" extremely quietly, as many of us over-rabid Twilighters do while we're accosting a possible new follower in public. Naturally, though, she had read them. And I was thrilled to meet yet another TwiBud in the universe. Her exact words were "Yes - I've read them all!" She then scanned the crowd before admitting, "Twice". We had a good giggle before she leaned in even closer and said "if you go to the author's website you'll see (snort - "the author" - as if I haven't been using Stephenie Meyer's name for months as if we grew up next door to each other) at which point I shot her secret offering down from sheer excitement and exclaimed "MIDNIGHT SUN!" At that point we both had the "sigh, she HAS to finish it!" conversation. And - might I say it was her lucky day as she had no idea about the 4 page blurb in the New Moon extras section....where Edward talks about being in that horrible attic in South America and gets the call from Rosalie. I guarantee you she read it upon reentering her dwelling and has alerted all her Twifriends by now.

Ahhh yes. Another day...another Twilight education of strangers. It's great to pass-on the Edward love. *Thanks to USA TODAY for the photo.

2 comments:

Tracey R. said...

HILARIOUS Costco story. Did you invite her to the party?

Did you also notice that The Host is #19? Have you read that one yet? I need to add it to the list, which is getting awfully long. First, True Bloods. Next, Outlander (first one, and more if I like it). Then Harry Potter. With no doubt a second read of the Twilights sprinkled everywhere.

Purgatory Carol said...

No - haven't read "The Host". My friends Beth and Liz did and didn't love it. I also have this theory that the worse it does, the more her peeps will make her write more Twilight or finish Midnight Sun. (This doesn't seem to be doing me any good since she's at #19. Rats.) I am currently skimming Dead Until Dark because it's just so much like True Blood that I'm getting bored. I need to get to Living Dead in Dallas to really appreciate it. I also feel like I'm being a little duped. Sook-AYYY is way sweeter in the books, while Bill seems more scary and less "I will protect you with my Civil War-era charm and good looks." He's actually - shudder - a VAMPIRE in the book. And we all know how I feel about that with Bill. YUMMAYYYYY.