Friday, September 11, 2009

Vampire Diaries Interview

THIS is as far as I got in this interview with Kevin Williamson, writer of the SHOW - Vampire Diaries (not the book series which was written by L. J. Smith) because I didn't want to see any spoilers. (Thanks to Jenn M. for sending me the link!!)  Since first seeing this trailer online, I've been saying that although it started out very Twilightesque, I was willing to bet it wouldn't continue on that path.

Now from reading the following; I think I was right:

And then I read the first book and said, no way, because it was just like "Twilight." But Julie Plec was already on book three by then, because she reads faster, and she was just like, keep reading it, so I kept reading it, and I went, you're right, it's not [like "Twilight"]. I said, if we can get to the other stuff sooner, than yes, let's do it. And so we sort of rearranged things, so even though the first episode and the set up are the same -- the guy comes to school, she meets him, all of that is the same in the pilot -- once you get past that... as soon as Damon shows up, it's totally different.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for this Carol!! I watched it last night and was ready to write the show off as a Twilight wannabe. Guess I will have to tune in!!
I thought Damon was going to be "the same character" as James but I guess I'll have to wait and see.

Purgatory Carol said...

I don't know who you are, oh Anonymous, but if I don't know you, THANK YOU for reading my blog! And if I do know you, THANK YOU for reading my blog! :) And yes - tune in next week. I'm thinking the Twilight similarities will die down after an episode or two.