Thursday, September 24, 2009

Welcome to the EMASCULATION of Edward Cullen.

I don't even know where to start. I am so fired up about this car NONSENSE that I just posted nothing, by accident, and had to go back and erase my post-fulla-nothing before posting this.


Do you see this? THIS is a Volvo S60R. THIS is what Edward Cullen drove in Twilight. And New Moon. Oh and Eclipse and Breaking Dawn. Yeah. That's right. ALL of the books. Check it out yourself on Stephenie Meyer's "Cullen Cars" section of her website.

Do you see this? This is the Volvo C30. THIS is what Edward Cullen drove in the MOVIE version of Twilight. My only guess as to why the car was changed to something Edward Cullen SO would NOT have driven is that a) the "R" in the S60R is no longer available... and b)  it seems like a car a younger person would drive, and they wanted to make Edward hip and truly 17, and not ONE HUNDRED EIGHT, which is what is truly is.

Now. Turn your attention to THIS. THIS is what Edward Cullen is driving in Eclipse. (See Bella in the driver's side?) It is an XC90.  And I know a lot about the XC90 because I OWNED ONE for five years - until last year when I traded it in for a Ford Flex. I wanted a car that was a little shorter, a lot less expensive with just as much room and a 5 star safety rating. I miss my XC90 a lot, but seeing as Ford owns Volvo, I knew I'd be getting a similar driving experience. (Anyone who is saying "oh come ON, you can't compare Ford to Volvo is not aware just how much Ford there really in a Volvo these days. The same goes for the Saab 900, which is now built on a Malibu chassis as it's owned by GM and they have completely wiped out all the old Swedish designers and execs. Don't EVEN get me started on THAT.)

OK SO WHY am I waxing on about cars like some kind of annoying guy on one of those cable shows filmed in a garage with motorcycles and guys in bandanas? Because in addition to being a total techno-dweeb, I am also a TOTAL car chick. Always have been. Ever since I was in the 8th grade and completely mortified when my mother dropped me off at school in her 67 Dodge Dart. (I won't go any further with that story because it really does bring back painful memories and I may have to go lie down if I do.)

And WHY am I so upset about Edward's Volvo? Because it's not that difficult to stick to the damn story. Let's reflect on a little book called Eclipse. Do you remember this:
"It came out of nowhere. One minute there was nothing but bright highway in my rearview mirrow. The next minute, the sun was glinting off a black Volvo XC90 right on my tail."
NEITHER DO I!!!!!

I have had not one, but two times since reading the Twilight series that I looked in my rearview mirror and saw a SILVER VOLVO S60 behind me and almost shat my pantalones. I am not too proud to admit that I spent the rest of the drive pretending Edward was following me and was going to give me one of his sexy, tight-assed lectures on his black, leather couch when I got home from helping Angela with her graduation announcements... but I digress.

Bottom line, the story goes:  "the sun was glinting off a SILVER VOLVO right on my tail". And that's what we should see in the films.

OK so why change it? A Volvo XC90 is a great car. Don't get me wrong. But a guy who has a simultaneous love of all things fast, yet practical in the Volvo family is NOT going to drive one! Do you know what I called that car for five years? My MOM CAR. I don't care that they've changed it to black. Ooooh big deal. Black! As if that denotes a car that's usually driven by a person with a penis?!?  NOT! My first car was black! (A pre-owned 1986 Nissan Pulsar, which was sa-weet until I went away for a weekend and left it in a parking lot that got flooded. There were practically fish falling out of the back seat when I opened the door. Let's not go there, mmmkayyy?)

So I ask you, Mr. Slade... WHY are you MESSING with "THE CAR"? Is it not enough to have a long and happy movie with a silver S60??  (Even without the "R", I'd much rather see the proper SILVER S60 than a BLACK X90!)

If you want to CHANGE something, change Bella's wig! (And lord....change Carlisle's while you're at it.) And leave the cars alone! Geez, next thing you know, Edward's going to be lending Jacob his Ferrari Enzo in Breaking Dawn! It's just...WRONG!

7 comments:

Jenn M said...

Thank You for posting about the car, Carol. It really bothers me that they would mess around with it like they did. I was willing to accept the Twilight movie Volvo but the XC90? No way! I mean Edward looks ridiculous driving that.
The cynic in me feels that David Slade had no call on this but rather this was a marketing stunt/agreement between Volvo and Summit...wanting to pump up the sales of the XC90.

JeDeCe said...

Rant on, Sister!! I'm behind you 100%!

Purgatory Carol said...

Thanks guys. I was a little nervous about that rant, because a) I don't want to bring on the crazy, b) I don't want anyone to think I'm gender-biased or stereotyping (if my son wants to play with his sister's barbies, that's cool with me) or c) being a complete moron. But I was very attached to every car-mention in those books. I was ATTACHED to the "silver Volvo" which was an S60, which I look at in my driveway every damn day because Tom(ward?) drives one. But alas, his is gold and not silver.

Anonymous said...

I thought the way you put it into words was hilarious. &pretending edward was behind you the whole way home XD haha.

Purgatory Carol said...

Anonymous - I am just seeing your comment - thanks. I have done that twice. It's... AWESOME. Seriously. If you ever see a silver S60 in your rearview, you'll know what I mean. ;)

Anonymous said...

That volvo is a xc60, not xc90. It's the newest and safest of the volvo suvs. Which is probably why they chose it (since Edward is all about the best and safest). I own a xc90 and there are striking differences from the xc60.

Purgatory Carol said...

My apologies, I stand corrected. But my point is that it's an SUV, not the "practical" sedan.

You've piqued my curiosity; what are the biggest differences? I traded mine in 3 years ago (for a Ford Flex; still love Volvo/Ford)...and haven't kept up with the Volvo SUV line.