Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Timbaland + Twilight = Disaster

Let me state for the record that I dig Timbaland.  He's tremendous. You always know you're hearing a song he's worked on because he's got that signature style. Justin Timberlake. Nelly Furtado. One Republic. All bands who have certain songs that have that certain something. That Timbaland sound.

However, I am horrified at something I read this morning. Something I'll share with you shortly. And since it seems to be "Duran Duran Week" on my blog, I will also share a little story with you.

I promise, the Twilight connection is coming.

I was at the famous Roosevelt Hotel in Hollywood when John Taylor announced he was leaving Duran Duran in the late 90s. He was playing an acoustic show for a small group of fans - and we were crushed when he told us. We had been loyal fans since the first time we'd seen Planet Earth on Mtv in the early 80s - and we couldn't believe our ears.

For a few years we went to Duran shows with no John Taylor and it never seemed the same. Then - a few more years went by and we were ecstatic to find out the five original members were getting back together. The original Duran Duran would be back in business for the first time since 1985. I am lucky enough to say I attended a show they did after getting back together - where they played a ton of old hits at Webster Hall. It was an amazing show that was filled with celebrity fans like Chloe Sevigny, Christy Turlington and Moby. MOBY. That's how amazing Duran Duran really are.

Then they met Timbaland.

Apparently they had a whole album's worth of songs written for a new album - early Duran-sounding songs that brought them back to their roots in True Romantic fashion. But once they met Timbaland, they decided to scrap all that (most likely amazing) true Duran music and work with him - and Justin Timberlake. They wanted to be current. They wanted to be in. Because for years, Duran Duran has been striving to get back to the top of the charts. They've been making music all this time - music you know but don't realize you know (I Don't Want Your Love, Ordinary World, Come Undone). But they have never been able to reclaim the massive fame they had in the early to mid 80s.

That's when Andy Taylor left. Again.

He wanted nothing to do with the further commercialization of Duran Duran. And they let him go - and made an album with Timbaland called "Red Carpet Massacre". Ever heard of it? I didn't think so. Because when you ditch what you're good at - to work with the latest-and-greatest producer - it's just not going to work. And it didn't. And now Duran Duran fans are left scratching our heads and wondering what the hell bonehead move the band we love is going to make next... instead of just putting out that great Duran Duran sound.

Wondering what this has to do with Twilight? Read this MTV article, my friends.

Read it and weep.



2 comments:

DebDeb70 said...

I have to comment on this....being a child of the 80's. I was in LOVE with Simon Lebon, I have seen them in concert a zillion time, even to this day when they come around I will go. When Red Carpet Masaacre came out, OMG, I was disappointed. I went to the concert her in CT and boy did it suck. I am all for one to embrance new stuff but geeeeze, Timaland, REALLY? So my new love is Rob, yes he is old enought (almost) to be my son but god dang is he a cutie.

Did you read Andys book? I thought it was great, alot of insight on the band back then and now. He got the shaft.

Enough about them. I just want to tell you that this site is great, we must come from the same era, because we think alike!

Purgatory Carol said...

Thank you! That makes writing this silly blog worthwhile. I have a lot of fun doing it. I'm thrilled to have you joining in the discussions! Keep the comments coming!

I didn't read Andy's book, which is amusing, seeing as I got it for a friend of mine for his birthday. I didn't see a RCM show...I have been holding out hope they'll come to their senses and get back to their old sound. Apparently they've been working with Mark Ronson. I don't know much because I kindof stopped paying attention after the Timbaland debacle. I really got angry when Andy left. We had all five original member and then greed took over and they just let him walk away...