Sunday, October 25, 2009

Twilight vs. Outlander

I know what you're thinking. If you've never met me, you're thinking "Why should I listen to this kooky girl with the Twilight website and read Outlander"? And if you have met me, you're thinking "Why should I listen to this kooky girl with the Twilight website and read Outlander"? (snicker. I crack m'self up.)

So I thought I'd share with you some of the parallels between Twilight and Outlander.

Not so much the story - because, let's face it - one involves vampires - and one involves Scottish clans. Apples and oranges, right? But - if you look at the way you behave while reading both, clearly there are similarities:

1)You start to carry Outlander everywhere, just like you did with Twilight. I just sat in the doctor's office with my son, watching Casper and wishing I had my book. PINING for my book. And a certain clansmen.

2) You find yourself looking for Outlander themes in the songs you're hearing on the radio, just like you did with Twilight. Songs that have zero to do with this book, yet all the sudden seem like they have everything to do with the book.

3) You miss the main male character when you're not reading. Like he's your boyfriend and you're (im)patiently waiting for him to call you when he gets back from Pep Boys with his dad.

4) You see the book lying on a table and an instant sense of simultaneous calm - and excitement - comes over you.


5) You find yourself looking up maps of Scotland... planning your summer vacation in Scotland... and being incredibly jealous of all those who actually live in Scotland. Or at least near it, which means they can visit whenever they want. LUCKIES.

6) You can't stop thinking - or talking - about the book.

OK - if that isn't a glowing recommendation, I don't know what is. And for some reason, I'm really curious about whether Stephenie Meyer has read the Outlander series - and if so, if she loved it.

That's all for now. More Edward later. Right after I trek around the Highlands a bit more...

14 comments:

Tracey R. said...

I actually think there are quite a few parallels btw Twilight and Outlander structurally--the biggest one being (and this really isn't a spoiler) that at its heart, both books are REALLY about conversations between two people getting to know each other. True, lots of stuff happens around these conversations, but the meat of both books is two people talking. "My Dinner with Edward/Jamie," for those of you who are familiar with the long-ago faux documentary "My Dinner with Andre."

Tracey C said...

I am at a crossroads...pg 40 and it has taken me 4 days to get there! Don't know if I want to be as addicted to this as I am to Twilight...don't think my family can take anymore :o) But I will keep pluggin for another 160 pages to get there...maybe

Annette Piper said...

I agree - many parallels between the stories - once again though its about the chemistry between a man and woman and overcoming obstacles to fulfill the passion!

Purgatory Carol said...

YES Annette. Perfectly said. And Tracey C - keep reading. Just keep reading. It takes off like a roller coaster around chapter 12. And don't look ahead at chapter titles, either! Just keep reading! PS - warn your family. My laundry is piling up, too. ;)

Jenn M said...

Ok...ok...ok.....I will continue my read.
Tracey R and Carol - you know where I've been on this book. I am going to be so p****d at myself if this book is AS good as you all say it is and it has just been sitting on my bookshelf since June. Here I have been searching all of God's creation for a solid book to take over my Twi-obsession and it's been in my house all this time stuck on page 49.

Tracey C said...

I just hit page 49...soooo very slow. Taking your word for it that it will be oh so worth the read!

JeDeCe said...

LOL, half of you ladies sound like you're sitting in the dentist's chair (that the most miserable place I can think of) and the other half have been to Nirvana.

::sigh:: I guess I'll have to pick it up and find out for myself!

Jenn M said...

Tracey C - I'm withya. Isn't it slow? I'm up to pg. 72 now. I sure those Randinelli sisters know what they're talking about.

Tracey R. said...

Keep reading. Talk to me again when you've hit p. 200. ;-)

Purgatory Carol said...

Tracey R - you can't say "page 200" because everyone has different editions. Talk in Chapters. Like this: Chapter 12 - start buckling those seat belts, because it's going to be a bumpy ride. Make sure they're good and tight. Now - Chapter 13 - here we go! Wheeee!!!!!

Jenn M said...

I am on the ride and I DON'T want to get off!! Outlander is AMAZING. Dare I say better than Twilight? (cowering)

Purgatory Carol said...

See that, Tracey C? KEEP READING! Jenn hit "that point" yesterday and now she can't put it down. And Jenn M - I know. I know I know I know. We're cheating on Edward... and liking it!

Anonymous said...

im reading part 5 of outlander in pdf.. im having a hard time getting sleep because i miss the characters and it keeps me intrigued on the next chapters.. i like the chapter that has "witch" on the title.. the part that jamie is ready (but not really that ready) to let go of claire.. i love james alexander mckenzie fraser!

Purgatory Carol said...

Anonymous - just keep going. The ride is spectacular. :)