Sunday, October 18, 2009

Why cougars dig Robert Pattinson...

Before I get started, let me say that this post is dedicated to Linda and John, my partners in 80s-loving crime.

The 80s are back, my friends.
No doubt about it. Everywhere I go, I see shades of my former self.

Go shopping in any mass clothing retailer and you'll see it. Go to Target and you'll see large houndstooth, lots of plaid, and colors so bright they're bordering on neon. (Target buyers must be afraid to totally commit yet. Give it 6 months and "throw-up-of-the-apocalypse yellow" will be displayed proudly, instead of the "big bird yellow" they've got now.)

Go to Old Navy and you'll see thick, bold stripes and flared mini skirts (think Debbie Gibson). Or cap sleeve dresses with stretch pants (think Pat Benatar. Lord don't bring back the leather.)

My point? I'm about to wax on about the 80s some more, peeps, so listen up.


I came across this photo of Robert Pattinson today on twilightmoms.com. And what's the first thing I thought of?
Duran Duran.

You see, I have this theory that whatever was hot when you reached puberty - that's what you're going to be attracted to for the rest of your life. That will be your "type", if you will. Well - you know what was hot when I was 13 years old? You got it. Duran Duran.

All that makeup and hair gel. All those Vivian Westwood outfits and that androgenous, "New Romantic" look. My god, I ate it up and drank it all in until I was thirsty for more. (Cheesy vampire reference alert! Sound the alarms!)

I have seen Duran Duran live in concert so many times I've lost count.



I've attended conventions and met my 3 favorite members. (OK so I froze when I first met John Taylor and all that would come out was "great show!" So what?! It happens!)

So now I find myself - uh - in my late 30s..yeah, yeah... in my late 30s (wink wink, I hope none of you are good at math) and attracted to a 23 year old. HE'S ALMOST A KID for god's sake, and yet I see a photo and go "Wow - I would soooo hit that".  Luckily when I see a photo of Taylor Lautner in all his massive pec-ness and I only think "awww - what a cute kid". C'mon, he's not even legal. But RPattz? Day-um. It's definitely the androgynous thing that Nikki Reed mentioned a while back. And yet - here's a hole in my theory - I didn't like those pictures from Joepie at all, where they posed him in a manner more feminine than Nick Rhodes lounging with a cognac after visiting a Warhol gallery (if that's even possible. Lord that man loves the glam. Um, Nick Rhodes is the guy in the middle, just in case you were wondering.)

So what do you think? If you dig RPattz, and you're over 35, were you a Duran fan? Spandau Ballet? Kajagoogoo? A-Ha? Roxy Music? (What I wouldn't do to get some Roxy into a Twilight film). Were you a fan of any bands that brought soooo much man-pretty to the teen table?

Inquiring minds want to know...

9 comments:

Kira said...

well you know the answer for me! i was totally into duran and would totally "hit that" too LOL

Purgatory Carol said...

ROFLMAO Kira. Are we pathetic? Or are we just hot-blooded women who know what we like? I choose to believe the latter. ;) OH and PS - I heard "Is There Anyone Out There" in OLD NAVY yesterday. How weird is that?! I was bopping around all over the balloon jacket section! LOL

La La La Linda said...

When I first saw him in "Goblet" I thought, "That's a mini-Taylor right there.".

Annette Piper said...

OMG, I never realised.... yep Duran Duran / new romantic fan here!

Purgatory Carol said...

Yey! -Claps hands- More Duranies on the website! I love it! I forgot to mention hearing "Is There Anyone Out There" at Old Navy on Saturday. It was surreal. The 80s are making a resurgence and I hope Simon and the boys are ready for it - instead of holing up in the studio with the latest and greatest money-making producer. GET BACK TO YOUR ROOTS!

JeDeCe said...

Brilliant observation, Carol!

Annette Piper said...

Hmmm, might have to dig out the old LPs and have a good old listen!

DebDeb70 said...

I am soooo happy I found you fellow Rob and Duranies...sniff sniff. And I thought I was the only one! Glad to know there are other 30 somethings out there!

Purgatory Carol said...

I wonder if Stephenie Meyer ever listens to Duran! LOL