Wednesday, March 4, 2009

It's...Complicated.


Damn! I cannot BELIEVE I have once again been SUCKED IN by Edward Cullen. Have you read Midnight Sun? UGH! I heard about it - the stolen manuscript that depicts Edward's side of Twilight. And I thought "Eh - I've already read Twilight - what will make me want to read this? I'll probably just skim it - let's have a look." Next thing I know, I'M ON PAGE 40 and SO upset that I have to go to bed. And that it's not a book I could take upstairs with me and read if I wake up in the middle of the night. The answers coming from this thing are incredible. I almost wish I'd parallel-read it along with Twilight - chapter for chapter - so I'd have had a really detailed sense of what was going on. So far, I'm finding it fascinating that Edward really hated Bella the first day they met, because of the scent of her blood. When you read Twilight, you're not realizing how deep his vampire desires run...and that he hasn't been human in 80+ years. So you end up confusing vampire thirst - for human lust. And then you read Midnight Sun and realize he has zero desire for her as a woman - or person - or human. He didn't even really find her attractive on Day 1. He just wanted her blood. It's FANTASTIC. Completely vampirific, in every sense of the (completely made-up) word. And as I mentioned to some friends this morning, the one thing I missed about Edward through books 2, 3 and 4 was his...I don't know what you'd call it - brooding? His almost evil stare and disposition. So....here I go again. Because this book is BETTER than Twilight. I can only hope we get more from Edward's perspective (with the exception of that little whimpering session in Breaking Dawn). PS - I miss the Cullens. I need a Book 5. From ANYONE'S perspective. Hmmm. Renesmee's, perhaps?

No comments: